Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Thin mints


Do you remember when girl scout cookies were just $2 a box?
Now they are $4 dollars a box!
Times have definitely changed!
This past week I was craving cookies and decided to make some homemade thin mints!
YUMMY!
I used the book Small Batch baking again.
I am telling you, if you like baking and don't want too many left overs buy this book!
In the book the recipe is called Mint Chocolate wafer cookies.
I started making them on Tuesday.
I started off by making the cookie dough,
but came to a halt when it recipe then said I needed to chill the cookie dough for 4 hours!
Seeing that it was 7 pm I knew I wouldn't be able to make this masterpiece until the next day.
I am a teacher and go to sleep early!
The next day I could not wait to get home from work and finish my cookies.
The cookies were in the oven and I was ready to make my chocolate glaze!
Little did I know I did not have any shortening for the chocolate glaze.
My husband being an amazing man left for the groceries and bought some shortening.
In the end the cookies came out amazing!
They were fresh and crispy.
The best part was eating them. YUM!

All you need is the following:

Ingredients for cookie dough
1/4 cup and 1tbsp of flour
pinch of baking soda
1 tbsp and 2 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
pinch of salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter ( room temp)
3 tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tps egg ( well beaten)
1/8 pure vanilla extract

Ingredients for chocolate glaze
3/4 cups semisweet chocolate
1 tbsp of vegetable shortening
1/4 and 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract


Steps:
1. Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder together in a bowl.
2. Then blend together the butter, vanilla, egg, and sugar.
3. Once completely blended slowly add the dry ingredients until mix.
4. Get plastic wrap and roll the dough into 3 inch long log. It should be 1inch in diameter.
5. Put in the fridge for at least 4 hours or over night
6. Once completely chilled cut into 1/4 inch slices
7. Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes. The oven should be 350 degrees.
8. Once completely cooled transfer them onto wax paper and dip them into the glaze one at a time.
9. Put in the fridge for 15 minutes or until the chocolate has harden
10. ENJOY!

For the glaze just melt all ingredients in the microwave and stir.
Then dip all the cookies into the chocolate one at a time.

3 comments: