Thursday, July 22, 2010

Brazo de Reina


So I decided to make brazo de reina... which is a Chilean traditional dessert.... My aunt makes it and it always tastes delicious.... I looked online for different recipes and made it... I wish my aunt was at my house to show me how she makes it! But let me tell you what I did

The first thing I needed to do is carmelize the Condensed Milk ( Dulce de leche)... I looked online to see how people did it... My mom use to always just put the can into boiling water but apparently the can could explode and I really didn't want that to happen... So can either microwave it... put it in the oven.. or put it in a double boiler... I didn't want to microwave it because it seemed like a lot of work... so I decided to make my own double boiler by using two pots and a cooling rack.. haha I know I am crazy..

So I put two cans of condensed milk in the top pot and it was suppose to take like 1 and half hour to two... WRONG! it was on the stove for like 3 hours and I decided to put it in the oven... needless to say I dont think I cooked it for as long as I should have.. There must be another way to do this... maybe the can trick is the best idea... If you have any suggestions please leave me comments.. because I will attempt to do this again!!!

Mean while I made the actual cake... I first beated eggs until it was very bubbly... little by little I add salt ( 1/2 a teaspoon) and 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda... Then I slowly added 3/4 cup of sugar... and beated it until it was a light yellow... takes a long time!

Then I added the flour.. I slowly folded it into the egg... its hard because you do not want to disturb the air in he egg... so do it slowly!

Once I was done with that I lined a cookie sheet with parchement paper and poured the batter into the the cookie sheet...

I baked it in the oven for like 7 minutes... ( 400 degrees)

Once it was done.. somewhat golden.. I would make sure that you keep an eye on it because the recipe told me 13 minutes and it was done in 7 minutes! yikes

I let it cool for like 5 minutes ... in the meantime I grabbed a towel and layed it on the counter with confectionist sugar... I carefully put the cake on to that... and rolled it up with the towel.. I put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes took it out and put it on the cooling rack until it was fully cool...


Once fully cooled I unrolled it and added the Dulce de leche... (which I now know needed more time! ) I spread it out... and then rolled it up again ( not with the towel) then as a finish touch I added the confectionist sugar on top.. It tasted good but I still need a lot of practice with this recipe! If you have made this before please leave comments in how to make this better!!!

2 comments:

  1. i really love seeing all of the banking you do. You are amazing girl. Will you share some treats with me por favor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manjar or dulce de leche is easiest made by boiling a can of condensed milk. Yes it can explode but if you are continually watching it and adding water to the pot so that the boiling water is always covering the can it should not explode. My mom has done it for years and I do it and it has never exploded. Takes about 3 hours. My cousin makes this dessert and she beats the egg whites first, then adds sugar, rest of yolks, flour etc. She also adds lemon zest for flavor. Once baked she spoons on the cake either coffee or pineapple juice (typical Chilean thing), then spreads the manjar everywhere including the outside of the roll. Lastly, she sprinkles dried unsweetened coconut all over the outside of the roll for flair. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete